Friday, May 14, 2010

Life: reduced to a cardboard box

Well, OK, I don't mean, like,  LIVING in a cardboard box, but boy oh boy today I put together and filled about 20 of them (with books) for my mother.  (only about another 15 to go, but this evening, I'm just kind of  "oof-ed" out.)

My 85 year old mom, bless her, seems to find the energy to do five things at the same time... well actually, she calls me over to do them, and once I'm involved, flits off and finds another thing to immerse herself into for a nano-second or two, and then calls me over to "help her", which I do, thereby giving her the freedom to find something else to do!  A real Catch-22 sort of deal!

It got to the point where  I finally told her that she couldn't leave her little corner of papers, until she'd sorted them!  AND if she wanted to pack a box, then she could put the stuff she's didn't throw away, and didn't need in the next two weeks into a few little boxes I'd made up for her.  (That worked for about 45 minutes!  I got a lot done!)

I have set her next task (for tomorrow anyway) by placing a suitcase and a box in her bedroom and told her to start putting things in it that she doesn't want the packers to pack, as well as first things she'll need when the movers arrive (like her favorite sheets and her favorite towels) as well as her three months supply of medications, her "costume" jewelry- not really worth much but all her favorites that she'd had to have misplaced, etc.

So I'm a bit fried today.  Yesterday I ran about four hours worth of errands.  I have to say tho that everything seems to be falling into place. We've managed to take care of the phone (will be turned off on the 27 as I am assuming all the phones will be packed), and cleared a few other things on the check-off list. 

I cleaned up Joe's gravestone (May 31 is Memorial Day) and put some nice flowers out.  Then I took a couple of digital pictures so I could show my mother how nice it looked.  That took about an hour as I had to dig up all the grass that had grown over it!  (tough stuff that grass!  I had a bread knife that seemingly was the only thing that could cut through it!)

Tomorrow my mother has a eye doctors appointment, she plans to drive herself. 

As driving herself is a basic "line in the sand" sort of "baiting argument" she tosses to me on occasion, I have decided to let her do what she wants to.  I have offered to drive and received a contemptuous glare, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and continuing with the box packing. (really hoping to get it finished!)

She doesn't WANT me to go with her (as I have told her that if I am in the car with her- I drive.) 

Whenever I drive with her, she spends all her time clutching the roof and giving me explicit directions as to which lane I should be in, how fast I should go, where to turn and why I am driving wrong unless she's talking about something else, then she forgets and it doesn't matter. 

I am hoping that I will have the books pretty much done by tomorrow, as my mother would like to start saying goodbye to the city and doing several things outside the house.

One of those things I am really looking forward to- we'll be going to Chimayo on Sunday.  (really super cool restaurant up in the mountains! Where I, at least plan on having a Chimayo cocktail for old time's sake.) 

My darling mother started out by saying that she wanted just the two of us to go up there for a nice meal - and then,  the whole thing just seemed to expand exponentially and so now she's invited  her dear friend with a big SUV who will be driving and she has invited another friend and her daughter as well to join us! 

It will be a fun "party" but I'm thinking the back seat will be chock full of me, the friend and her daughter... making the thought of the Chimayo cocktail a really good thing to focus while riding in the back seat for- an hour each way - on nice windy mountain roads!

Anyway, no big profound things to impart - Life and times continue, albeit a bit boringly, but they continue...  The only exciting thing to happen in my life this week (so far) was when I tried to take a shower in the guest bathroom the day before yesterday. 

Apparently the washer was missing (after the last time the fixit guys came to repair something!) and so the water went straight up to the ceiling and splashed down on me - outside of the shower.  As I was waiting for the water to warm up and not IN the shower at the time, I got very cold and very wet quite suddenly.

So.


I send you all big hugs and many thanks for the kind comments!

5 comments:

  1. It actually sounds like you are enjoying packing all those books for your mom. It's nice that she will have a special room for them at the new place in Chicago.
    The Chimayo cocktail(tequila and apple cider)must be good, don't have too many! :)
    ♥...Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed a lot of posts I think, I hope that you are ok. Wondering why you are back in the States and where is your mother going to?
    Sending love Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear wanda-

    we are enjoying eachothers company and i am glad i am able to help her with packing up her books. BUT i am feeling old and sore! she may be 85 but I'm catching up!!!

    oh yes the chimayo cocktail is REALLY good. and yes i will be careful. (but at least i won't be driving!!)


    dear Ruth-

    i'm back in the states to move my mother across the country to chicago (from santa fe new mexico) She's lived here for 35 years but unfortunately her family support is in Chicago. As she need that more than the climate and the spectacular scenery- it's time to move to Chicago. (it will also be easier for us to visit her as from Corfu, there is a reasonable and fairly direct set of connections to Chicago - but not to Santa Fe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a strong argument for living on a yacht. You can only have so many material things before running out of space.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Apture