Saturday, July 18, 2009

12 pounds of pears and a speeding car


So, - 12 pounds of pears, about 5 or 6 cups of sugar, a goodly piece of fresh ginger grated, lemon zest from 2 or 3 lemons- or oranges- (plus their juice and the fruit chopped up), all simmered in a large pot, should give me a nice batch of the ginger pear thingummy, that goes over so well with friends, family and visitors... (I only managed to keep it til Christmas this past year and I had twice the amount of pears last season)

Sometimes I add a cup of raisins and a 1/2 cup slivered almonds. I freeze it in small cup sized portions, and thaw them as I need them. (I have used this stuff as a substitute for applesauce in an Applesauce Cake recipe and it was Fantastic!)

It's good to eat with meat (like a chutney-type flavor) and it's great over ice cream or a plain sponge cake. It's not quite jam but not pearsauce either. It's just really tasty.

One year I added brown sugar because I didn't have enough white sugar and I accidentally cooked it a little too long and it turned into this lovely caramel-y pear stuff.

Anyway, I am lucky that way- my accidents sometimes make the best recipes!

~~~

Today, we took grandson to "Kart Cross" in the Ropa Valley- a really fun way to throw away 12 euros in only ten minutes! Grandson had enormous amount of fun. (I did too! It was exciting to watch him - well ok, the first three minutes. Ten minutes is a LONG time!) I did manage to get a little video as well which I have no doubt will go up somewhere on grandson's facebook page.

My darling T also decided to try it out and managed to zip around the track a few times. Fortunately for grandson, T gave him the rest of his ten minutes so grandson had about 15 minutes of bliss in total.



All in all, though, it was nice to come home to a cool house and watch the Open (golf!) on TV for a little while.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Apture